1. Cut fabric in a 40" wide rectangle, the length is your decision.
3. Fold top about 2.25" for elastic. Pin it and then sew and leave some room open to insert the elastic through. To insert the elastic, you can use a safety pin, pushing the pin with your hands until you reach the other end of the elastic. Once they elastic ends meet you can sew them together and close the opening.
4. Sew the top of the elastic (optional) I liked the look of it.
5. Hem the bottom of your skirt to the length you prefer.
6. Cut smaller rectangles (whatever size you would like the pockets to be) Mine were 5.5"x8.25. Final size 5"x7". Fold the top of your rectangle about 1 inch or so and sew it. Once the top has been sewn you fold 1/4 of the edges of the sides and bottom. Pin it to your skirt, then sew. Now you should have your skirt with pockets.