Friday, December 9, 2011

Dying Swan: Anna Pavlova

For as long as I can remember I have been a huge fan of ballet. I took my first ballet class at age 10 while I was living in my native country of  Peru. What can I tell you? I  fell in love immediately. I ended up taking second place at the local ballet academy. Unfortunately, I was unable to keep taking lessons due to a huge change in my life, my family moved to the United States. 
Adjusting to a new life was not easy. It was an exciting time for me, but I never continued with my ballet training. Even though I left my love for ballet behind, I have never stop thinking about it. Every year I visit Lincoln Center to enjoy a couple of shows and when I have some free time, I enjoy watching ballet clips on the internet. Through my searches I discovered Anna Pavlova performing the Dying Swan which blew my mind!! Such a unique soul. I wish the ballerinas of today would make their own mark and not have the same cookie cutter dancing style. I love supporting the arts but I have yet to see one ballerina that can amaze me and make me want to come back for more shows than my regular 2x a year. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.    

Date:1905 by Mikhail Fokine iconic classical work choreographed for Anna Pavlova. Music by Camille Saint-Saens.  



No comments:

Post a Comment